Pages

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Nassau to Roberts Cay



by Capt. Scott Buckley

After the front passed thru Nassau we planned to sail to Roberts Cay.  There was a lot of discussion at the dock about destinations and I finally said I was headed to Roberts Cay because of the short distance and the likelihood of an early arrival.  Being new to the Bahamas I am reluctant to make an after dark arrival into these anchorages.  It turned out everyone else decided to do the same thing. 
We left Nassau Harbor and headed to Progee Rock about 4 nm out to the east from Nassau.  After Progee Rock we laid in the waypoint to Roberts Cay at about 25 nm.  The sailing across the bank was excellent with SV Kooky Dance leading the way.


We got to Roberts Cay and quickly launched the hard rowing dinghy.  I checked the set of the anchor because the wind was expected to increase thru the night.  Tamera and I decided to do anchor checks every 2 hrs unless a watch seemed necessary based on changing conditions.

I felt pretty good at finally arriving in the Exumas.  There were times I had doubts that we were up to it and that we may never get there this year.  I rowed around the anchorage yell "I'M IN THE EXUMAS".
 

The water was crystal clear.  We explored the island and inland canals by row boat.   We would only stay hear one night and head to Shroud Cay the next day for better protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment