Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Mission to Bimini Scrubbed

by Captain Scott Buckley

As we were getting ready to slip the lines from the mooring ball we passed Ms. Alice Mae from SV Alice Mae.  She informed us they found one of the sail drives on their catamaran had water in the lower unit crank case. They would not be leaving for the Bahamas until the problem was sorted. 

What to do what to do?

SV Alice Mae has been to the Bahams 5 previous times and was the lead boat of our flotilla of two boats.  If we still decided to go we would be going alone.  I really did not want to make my first crossing of the Gulf Stream and subsequent check in at Bimini on my own.  While I am sure we could do it, it would add a level of stress that I did not welcome.  Additionally when I asked the 1st mate for her thoughts she had to stop biting her finger nails to answer.  This was significant to me because she was also feeling the stress of going it alone.
I admitted to the 1st mate that much of my confidence and lack of anxiety was due in large part from traveling with Bahama veterans on SV Alice Mae.  Tamera went over the pros and cons, recent weather updates and discussed my consideration of also scrubbing our departure. Before I made a final decision I was going to talk with David on SV Alice Mae.

Helping a Friend

I rowed over and talked with David.  He described the problems and we came up with some ideas to find the cause.  All involved hauling the boat out of the water so Dave was on the phone to schedule a  yard to lift the boat.  I decided I would stay and help Dave sort the problem out.  We had a scheduled haul out for the next day.

More on that in later posts.

Message from first mate Tamera


There was so much to consider before we cancelled this jump to the Bahamas. We were all packed, stocked, mentally ready for the trip so not going was a big deal. While going over all the pros and cons something I kept telling Scott "we are part of a buddy boat team, we should not and will not abandon our buddy boat".  I think we made the right decision.

We still have lots of time to get to the Bahamas this year and now we are talking about a return trip next year to catch anything we miss this year. It's all good.

There does not seem to be another weather window for 10 days so we will have to continue playing in the great state of Florida. πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜πŸ˜‹πŸ˜Έ☀️⚓️🚣⛵️

Tamera 

No comments:

Post a Comment